Laparascopic Adustable Gastric Banding (LAP BAND® SYSTEM)
*** In my practice, LapBanding has been entirely replaced by LAPAROSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTRECTOMIES.
Adjustable gastric banding or the LAP-BAND® procedure : In this restrictive weight-loss procedure, a hollow band made of special material is placed around the stomach near its upper end, creating a small pouch and a narrow passage into the larger remainder of the stomach. The band is then inflated with a salt solution. It can be tightened or loosened over time to change the size of the passage by increasing or decreasing the amount of salt solution.
- Keyhole approach …. Less scarring or wound problems. Earlier return to work (1-2 weeks)
- Adjustable : by filling the LAP-BAND® port the outlet size can be reduced which encourages weight-loss
- Reversible: By removing fluid (or rarely) the LAP-BAND®.
- No malabsorbtion
- Lower risk
- Easy to cheat …. if chocolates, sweets, high-calorie foods are swallowed, then weight-loss will be sub-optimal
- Mechanical problems:
- prolapse/slippage of stomach through the LAP-BAND®
- pouch dilatation
- food bolus obstruction
- LAP-BAND® erosion
- infection of the LAP-BAND® or port leakage
- Revision rate 5 -10%
- An entree portion forever